Try this gluten free courgette quiche recipe is a delicious way to enjoy essential prenatal nutrients in a meal everyone will enjoy!
We loved this unusual recipe for quiche – perfect for pregnant women on a gluten-free diet. Flour is replaced with a mixture of blended cauliflower, ground almonds and eggs which adds avoids gluten and adds an additional nutritional aspect to the base.
For the base:
100g ground almonds
2tsp mixed herbs (freshly chopped parsley, oregano and thyme works well)
2tsp dried mustard powder
2 medium eggs
A little olive oil to grease the base of your quiche dish
For the filling:
1 medium or two small courgettes sliced then quartered
I onion finely sliced
Clove of garlic, crushed
4 medium eggs
1 tbsp of olive oil
50 ml of milk (use oat milk if your pregnancy diet is dairy free)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 2000C
- Roughly chop the cauliflower a in a large bowl and blend it with a hand blender until smooth – or use a food processor.
- Empty into a clean tea towel and squeeze out any excess water.
- Put the cauliflower back into the bowl and add the ground almonds, mustard powder and herbs. Mix well.
- Lightly beat the two eggs and add to mixture, blending thoroughly to form a paste.
- Grease the base of an 8” flan dish.
- Spoon in the mixture and spread evenly in the dish, using the back of a spoon.
- Pop in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Whilst the base is cooking, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes and add the courgettes. Continue cooking for another few minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Whisk up the eggs and milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the vegetables onto the base and pour over the eggs.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the egg is firm.
FittaMamma Tip: Add a generous sprinkling of parmesan (or other hard cheese) over the top of your quiche before cooking. A handful of toasted pine nuts works well too – pine nuts are an excellent source of magnesium, essential for your pregnancy diet.
This base is equally good with different toppings – try leeks and cheddar, or mushrooms.
Thanks to FittaMamma Naomi for supplying this delicious recipe to share with other pregnant women