A little chocolatey indulgence without compromising your pregnancy diet… The secret ingredients give a great healthy energy boost and protein kick!
We tested this recipe on many willing recipients and nobody guessed the secret, oh-so-virtuous ingredient – lentils!!!! Include lentils in your pregnancy diet and you’re adding in extra fibre, added protein and a good source of iron.
These chocolate treats are delicious and full of unexpected nutrition for pregnant women – eat them after your pregnancy exercise session for a quick boost of energy (or just because they taste good!)
300g of cooked green or black lentils
175g peanut butter
125g dried dates
100g of good quality dark chocolate, grated
1⁄2 ripe banana, mashed
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
Small amount of coconut oil to grease the baking tin
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C
- Lightly grease an 8” square baking tin with the coconut oil
- Roughly chop the dates, put them in a bowl and add boiling water so they are just covered
- Use a blender or food processor to puree the lentils
- Add the soaked dates, peanut butter, mashed banana and pulse until well mixed
- If the mixture looks too stiff, add the water from the dates until you have a nice, soft consistency
- Tip in the grated chocolate, honey and baking soda and mix well
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin
- Chop the frozen raspberries slightly and sprinkle on top
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Check – it should be slightly gooey in the middle
Cool, slice and eat.