A cake recipe that is packed with nutrients and is good for your healthy pregnancy diet. This amazing gluten and dairy free carrot and nut cake is too good to resist!
We’re always searching for the perfect carrot cake recipe. Moist, packed with healthy nutrients for your pregnancy diet and not too sweet. A cake that will give our gorgeous FittaMammas a post pregnancy workout energy boost (or an afternoon treat) with no added sugar. We love this one – it’s a delicious, healthier option for guilt-free inclusion in your pregnancy diet AND it’s easy!
2 tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
250g of ground almonds
100g walnuts chopped
50g other chopped nuts (we used a mix of Brazil nuts, pecans and hazelnuts)
2 large carrots coarsely grated
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsps of ground cinnamon
¾ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3 ½ tablespoons runny honey
For the icing
200g of cream cheese
2 ½ tablespoons honey
Grated rind of one small orange
Juice of half the orange
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 30cm square baking tin and grease with a little coconut oil.
- Thoroughly mix the ground almonds, baking powder and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the honey and coconut oil until well mixed and frothy.
- Stir in the grated carrots, nuts and raisins then add the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin, smooth out the top and pop it in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Test the cake with a skewer to make sure it’s cooked through – it should be golden brown and springy to the touch.
- To make the icing simply place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- When the cake has cooled, spread the icing generously over the top and decorate with a few extra walnuts.
Nuts are beneficial to include in your pregnancy diet – read why here!
Finding time to exercise is a piece of cake!
Regular exercise is good for you AND your baby. A motivational maternity sports top will make sure you find time